Friday, February 17, 2017

A Spoon from Angelo



Years ago, while standing at our favorite coffee bar, Bar Farnese, better known as Angelo's, I put brown sugar in my coffee with the small, delicate spoon Angelo had provided. Much smaller than a regular spoon, shiny silver; I was impressed by the delicate instrument. Surly he had many others like this one. We were alone in the bar and I took the moment to ask Angelo a rare thing, "Angelo, could I have this spoon?"
He looked at what I held and without hesitation smiled at me, nodded, and said, "Yes."
Here my wife differs in this account, she says she was sitting outside and had asked me to ask Angelo for the spoon. Regardless, this morning I held the tiny silver spoon and remembered that day,
and the many days there. Thank you for the remembrance of many fine coffees and the good times spent at your coffee bar, Angelo.

Your American customer of many years,
Jack Sender.


.

No comments: