Saturday, November 1, 2008

Larry Fine

It was an uneventful quiet day, not a lot of people around that section of LA airport that morning in 1970 as I walked inside from one terminal to another, a large blank spot in the airport; and then I couldn’t believe it, who do I see walking toward me but one of the three stooges. I stopped where I stood. As he passed I called, “Mr. Howard?”

He stopped and turned then said, “Fine. I’m Larry Fine,” and pointed at his chest.

“Of, course, Mr. Fine. I’m sorry, I knew it, but wasn’t thinking,” I said. "I remember the one you did when you were all doctors, 'Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard', I was just so surprised to see you.”

“Oh, that’s all right.” He bashfully wobbled his head and continued to smile. "Moe and Curly Howard I worked with, and then his brother Shep when Curly died." Now I was nodding. Larry Fine  walked with two tall blond show girls, each about six-two,  and he was 5' 4". He saw me notice the girls on each arm. “We’re on our way to Las Vegas,” he said with a large grin. Happy to be working I guess. All retired performers love to be wanted. A bit older than his prime, but still looked like the same Larry to me, the one I saw hundreds of times.

I told him how much I enjoyed his work, how much all the kids always did. How we used to cheer when a Three Stooges Short began back in our hometown movie theater. All the laughter he brought us. He thanked me. It was a just a minute or two that we chatted. I know he enjoyed it and I did too. I thanked him again and we both waved goodbye.

No comments: