Friday, June 22, 2012

frogs a lot



     Six   I counted 'em when I saw them all out at the same time.  Didn't want to make a mistake.  If one on a rock jumps in and pops up some where elese how do i know it's not another one.  I had to see them all out cause some of the frogs look alike.  That’s how many we had this year.  Our back yard frog home has grown in a dozen years; well, population wize, the pond isn'tany larger.  Out of the six we can tell four in particular and two look like twins.  Oh, brother, frogs twins, who would have imagined.  
     Now I have noted the frog burp, which to me is a better word for the sound they make than croak.  The burp I heard late at night.   
There would be one, then twenty seconds later another, and so on through the night.  I never thought of frogs as temperature indicators as crickets are, but I’ll have to consider it a possibility.
     It is the time of the season for the mating frogs to go off to the other frog ponds.  After a month of frog frolic they'llhop back some rainy night to winter in their home pond.
     This is more knowledge that I expected to acquire a dozen years ago when I first said, “Hey, we’ve got a frog in our pond.”

1 comment:

Annie said...

It's the best kind of knowledge- personal experience of the frog kind. We get toads in my yard. They live somewhere buried in our garage, and come outside late at night. We also love our snails- they come out at night from the planters when the temperature is hot and humid (pretty much all of the time in the summer where I live). You never realize how much you can enjoy watching snails slowing moving across a sidewalk, or frogs burping in a pond, until you experience them.