Thursday, March 26, 2015

shopping for food


I called Bill this morning around nine as I headed up Via Cappellari. He said he and Rosemary were minutes away from approaching Campo Dei Fiori. The weather was cool, but the rain of the last few days was over. The Campo was humming when I got there, the market was in full swing, and not overly crowded with tourists. A good day.

By the fountain I saw Stefano and Roberta with one of their children and had a few words with Stefano, Roberta went into the forno. The boy stayed with her.

"How old is he?" I nodded as hey walked to the door.

"Eight. He is the younger, the older boy is eight," came the reply. He was large for hi age, not fat, just tall.

"They do grow, don't they."

Stefano grinned and shook his head in agreement.
"Time passes."

After more updates I told Stefano about the tools he left at our place. "Just leave them at Marina's, Roberta was not working today."

I told him I would. I hadn't bought a lamp for our eating area yet, but would call him when I did. I'd check at Piazza Paradiso for one. I pointed, he knew where I meant. We finished talking and he went to catch up with Roberta just as Bill and Rosemary came into the Campo. They were both talking.

After our greetings and they commented on their plans for the morning, I mentioned that I was on my way to Trionfale. They both issued a series of negative comments and guffaws about that market. Evidently I was wrong to want to go there. To them it was laughable.

"I like it," I said, to which they both scoffed. I was obviously missing something negative about that market, and was wrong about it being a good market.

"I hate it," Bill said loudly.

"Oh, I do too," Rosemary added.

"I like the people there," I said in defense of it. They laughed at the notion that those market workers at Trionfale could be anything more than sub-human.

Rosemary made a face and began telling about the buses, how unfortunate it was to have to ride one, at which point Bill mentioned someone who was run over by a bus, hit by one at least. Rosemary continued to laugh at the idea of taking a bus anywhere. I was wrong in their opinion and by their collaboration was proven so.

We parted. Bill went off to get some food to take to Felicita who had fallen and broken her shoulder. On I went toward the bus at Rinaciamento to catch a 492 for Trionfale.

I stopped at Angelo's on the way and had a coffee and cornetto. Simone was coming out as I walked in. I sat in the back and had my coffee and ate the cornetto. When I came out I turned right and headed for the SMA Market. It was closer than a bus ride to Trionfale, even though I always enjoyed the bus rides and could have gotten pistachios there. When I mentioned pistachios to Rosemary she laughed and said Mario had pistachios right here in the Campo. Bill supported me by pointing out to her they are a much higher cost here.

At the SMA market I got pasta, two types. short tubes and spaghetti, prosciutto crudo, pasa sauce and some soup beans. Everything came to ten euro, a good price. I was satisfied.

On the way back along Via Giubbonari I saw Claude at Pietro's. He was chatting with two Italian friends and waved me over to sit at their outside table. That was kind and I was tired of walking. One of his friends was home visiting from work in New York. After we talked a while they finished their coffee and went off to start their day. I went in to the bar, Janetta was working. I spoke briefly to Pietro, decided against another coffee, they didn't have an apple filled cornetto that I like, and walked home with my groceries.

No comments: