Saturday, March 20, 2010

Travolta

Forty year ago I was a young U.S. sailor on the Pacific island of Guam.
On one of my first trips to the capitol city of Agana I ran into a young group of young sailor toughs from the Philippines.

They recognized me as an American, and smiling they gathered together and began clapping in a rhythm that high school cheerleaders of the time used. One two three, one two three, one two three Four five six. and then they all shouted “Travolta”. They waved and laughed. Saturday night Fever was the movie hit of the time.

I just saw Travolta on a commercial in Italy and remembered how long that guy has been a superstar. The movie came out in 1977. In 1975 he was on the TV show Welcome Back Kotter. John is now 56 years old.

(Even those of you good in math can't figure this out. I was on Guam in '69 and '70. Those young Philippinos didn't know about Saturday Night Fever because it hadn't happened.

Now you just wait. You'll see how entertaining getting old can be.)

No comments: